Attached are two files – the first is an article in the October issue of Women’s Health Magazine (it’s on the newsstands now – go out and get yourself a copy – it’s written by a terrific author – Krissy Brady – you should check out her other stuff). The article is about “young and restless” women with chronic stress and sleep issues – and who have trouble “turning off” and relaxing. This is a major problem, not just from the perspective of quality-of-life, but from a health perspective.
Chronic stress and sleeplessness are significant risk factors for a wide range of chronic diseases – everything from obesity and diabetes to depression and chronic fatigue – and the incidence of chronic stress and insomnia are at epidemic proportions (the second file shows some of the alarming statistics).
Although the “problems” of chronic stress and sleep problems are large and growing, the “solutions” are easier than you might think. Instead of simply telling people to “avoid stress” or “get more sleep” – I take a much more practical approach of using natural therapies to help people relax and de-stress. These approaches involve diet, exercise, mindfulness, and traditional herbals to help the body remain resilience in the face of our modern stressful world.
Please take a look at the attached article and statistics and let me know your comments.
Thanks for reading,
About the Author: Shawn Talbott holds a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry (Rutgers) and a MS in Exercise Science (UMass). He trains for iron-distance triathlons and ultra-marathons in Utah – and is always sure to keep himself in biochemical balance and high vigor.
Shawn M. Talbott, Ph.D., CNS, LDN, FACN, FACSM, FAIS
Nutritional Biochemist and Author
Follow me at:
My books related to stress, cortisol, vigor, and Feeling Your Best:
▪ Vigor Diet – The New Science of Feeling Your Best
▪ The Secret of Vigor – How to Overcome Burnout, Restore Biochemical Balance, and Reclaim Your Natural Energy
▪ Killer at Large – Why Obesity is America’s Greatest Threat – an award-winning documentary film exploring the causes and solutions underlying the American obesity epidemic. FREE versions at http://www.KilleratLarge.com
▪ Cortisol Control and the Beauty Connection – The All-Natural Inside-Out Approach to Reversing Wrinkles, Preventing Acne, And Improving Skin Tone (Hunter House) – FREE text at http://www.cortisolcontrol.com/
▪ The Immune Miracle – The All-Natural Approach for Better Health, Increased Energy and Improved Mood (GLH Nutrition, 2012)
▪ The Health Professionals Guide to Dietary Supplements (Lippincott, Williams & Wilkens)
▪ A Guide to Understanding Dietary Supplements – an Outstanding Academic Text of 2004 (Haworth Press)